Monday, February 16, 2009

WAMMA and Female MMA Rankings

Ranking female mixed martial artists isn't easy as you may have seen here on this blog.
But the WAMMA (The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts) is going to start undertaking that task this year.
Here's a link to the official press release......

WAMMA to Begin Female Rankings, Call for Pollster Applicants
By: WAMMA
The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) has announced that it will be launching a monthly poll in 2009 that will rank the best female mixed martial arts in the world.
Starting in the first quarter of the New Year, WAMMA's new female poll will rank the top ten female fighters in three separate weight classes: 125 pounds, 135 pounds, and 145 pounds.
You can read the full press release here

But not everyone thinks this is such a good idea.....

The Problem with WAMMA's Plan to Rank Female MMA Fighters
By Josh Stein, FightTicker.com blogger
I feel obliged, almost, to put a disclaimer at the top of this piece. It’s a taboo in journalism, I’ve discovered, but it needs to be done, in this case.
I will say first, that I support WAMMA and its efforts to unify the sport of mixed martial arts. I’ve been candid about that in the past, but the announcement of the opening up of female MMA rankings has been bothering me for some time now, and while I thought about doing a fluff piece on how great this might be for the women in the sport that many of us have never heard of, I realized I couldn’t do that, because even when I’m wrong, I can be proud of my honesty.
You can read his full article here

In case you didn't know, WAMMA is a sanctioning organization for professional MMA. It was launched in 2007 and it's goals are to create insurance programs for MMA fighters, give financial education seminars, train referees and judges and contribute to a fighter pension fund.

No comments:

Popular Posts