Monday, August 10, 2009

Good Luck Gina Carano and Cristiane Santos

Well here we go.
Only five days till what is the most hyped female mma match ever.
I love it really, when I started this blog back in 2007, I started going down a list I made of female mma fighters and tried to do bios and at least one pic of each one.
Why?
Because I always root for the underdog.

Female MMA really didn't get much attention, a lot of people frowned on it.
Two women out there beating the crap out of each other didn't appeal to everyone.
But having spent 14 years in martial arts (not MMA mind you) I had some idea of what these women go through to get out there and do their best.
And I hate it when someone works that hard and gets overlooked.
So I tried in my own way to get these ladies out there and hopefully get some attention for them.

You'll note that you don't (and never will) see pictures of bikini clad women here just for the sake of having them.
Now if a fighter is good looking (Kyra Gracie, Gina Carano, Michelle Waterson, Erin Toughill, LaTasha Marzolla just to name a few) I have no problem with posting an attractive picture of them.
But no matter how good you look, if you get in the ring with another woman that's there to take you down and take you out, it wont matter.
This blog is for fighters both known and unknown.

And that brings me back to the upcoming match up.
(I know I went off on a mini rant there)
Here is a chance for female MMA to really shine and pick up some fans.
You'll have the MMA poster girl Gina Carano going up against a fighting machine Cris Santos.
As of right now, no one is injured and we can expect to see both women go in there and give everything they've got.
This could be the match that really puts women's MMA on the map.
There's already talk of the winner facing Erin Toughill at a future date.

So I wish both women luck and cross my fingers that the match will be as good as the hype leading into it.

Not only does the sport need a good show, but so do all those ladies out there in little known gyms pounding away at bags and wondering if they'll ever get the chance to climb into a ring and show everyone just how good they really are.

No comments:

Popular Posts