I mentioned in a post awhile back about changing the three minute rounds in female MMA to five minute rounds.
Well it seems that over at MMA Junkie and Watch Kalib Run there has been an ongoing discussion of this which I just caught the last part of.
You can go to their site and read all of the articles here:
http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/7/2/935763/peer-reviewing-dr-benjamins-ideas
It now seems the Carano - Santos fight will be five minute rounds.
That's something I wondered about when the fight was announced.
(Dang! I was gonna try to go a whole week without saying Carano or Santos!)
So what do you think?
Should female MMA be five minute rounds?
To me, and this is totally unscientific, saying female MMA should be three minute rounds and male MMA should be five minutes is like saying Danica Patrick can only drive 250 laps at the Indy 500 cause she's a girl.
Female MMA - News and Info about female mma fighters like Cristiane Justino, Amanda Nunes, Rose Namajunas, Joanna Jędrzejczyk, Valentina Shevchenko, Jéssica Andrade and more MMA fighters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
The last time I did a write up on Andrea "KGB" Lee. she was on a nine month suspension after she tested positive for diuretics aft...
-
Melanie Kohler-Edwards Dec. 10, 1981 Height: 5'6'' Wt: 120-lbs Record: 8 wins 4 losses 0 draws Preferred fighting style: ...
-
This is female MMA fighter Shannon Logan. This five foot six, 130 pound female grappler is trained not only in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, bu...
-
In the aftermath of the Gina Carano-Cris Santos fight, I was looking around for inspiration for today's entry. Here is a sample of the h...
-
Last night at UFC 200, Amanda Nunes submitted Miesha Tate to win the UFC bantamweight title. You know since Ronda lost the belt, that thing ...
-
New president urges women to learn karate India's first female president urged women to learn martial arts such as karate for self-defen...
-
Dutch female professional boxer, actress and kickboxer Lucia Rijker was born on December 6th, 1967 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Lucia has b...
-
Big MMA fan? Interest in female MMA seems to be growing, and this will no doubt help. A new TV show called "Ultimate Women Combat,...
-
You know sometimes I get too carried away with myself. I miss a lot (okay...almost all) the fight predictions. But sometimes I can actuall...
-
Mean Gina takes center stage in Elite Xtreme Combat Gina Carano is not your typical MMA fighter. Then again, the typical woman doesn...
2 comments:
I am a female, and I train in MMA (although I assure you I have no aspirations to step in the cage).
The two extra minutes make a huge difference in strategy/planning. Stamina is a huge part of the game too. For example, I train for the same amount of time as my male counterparts. Our matches are not divided into "female" and "male" training sessions.
In the limited number of female fights I've seen, many do not get as far simply because time runs out. I think the fights would be consistently more skilled and more interesting if they'd last longer.
I have not researched what concessions are made for Danica Patrick, but I think she'd be embarrassed if someone started making the case that she should race half as many laps as the men are required to race.
I dont think anyone makes any concessions for Danica, she just gets in there and races.
I was in martial arts WAYYYY before MMA...LOL
So I cant comment directly on it. But I know that in my 14 years in it, all of my instructors pushed the women as hard as the men. As a matter of fact, the women had to spar against men, because our instructor told us that 9 times out of 10, if a woman gets in an altercation, it'll be against a man.
BTW, Cindy has a very good blog here:
http://lsucindy.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment